Peanut butter + Bonne Maman Forever

© Jessie Kanelos

I just knew they would hit it off.

My conversations with fellow American expats are always peppered with the woes of French bureaucracy and an insatiable longing for peanut butter.  I have recently found my peanut butter fix at Asian grocery stores at a much more reasonable price than alongside the corn syrup and marshmallow Fluff at overpriced American epiceries.  However, there is nothing that has me reaching for spoon faster than a 40 (oz) of real American peanut butter.  Since choosy moms choose JIF, I just happily received a jumbo jar in the mail from my mother.   Matched with a smear of Bonne Maman, the mother of all jams and jellies, I can candidly report that peanut butter & quince jelly translate beautifully to baguette.  Kid tested, mother approved gourmandise.

Viva les amoureux!

. . . . .

Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest

Advertisements
13 comments
  1. Miss Bougie said:

Ohh, yes. THAT I like!! Too bad it’s not good for the waistline. 😦

• thefrancofly said:

I know, Miss Bougie. But I have given up on looking French. Where’s my spoon?

2. I know the feeling–I always craved peanut butter when I was away from the states. Enjoy mon ami!!

• thefrancofly said:

Will certainly do, snakefishbird!

3. Carrefour has FAB peanut butter for 3+ euros from Nicaragua
    course it ain’t Skippy

• thefrancofly said:

Oh, excellent news. I will keep that in mind the day my Jif runs out. Bon dimanche.

4. My French friends think peanut butter is absolutely disgusting. They just don’t understand the goodness of PB & J with a cool glass of milk 🙂 I love Bonne Maman, but have you tried it with Christine Farber jam? It takes it to a whole ‘nother level!

• thefrancofly said:

I haven’t tried it with Christine Ferber just yet. I am still attempting to try the 31 flavors of Bonne Maman first. But I will keep you posted when I do, Christine!

Bonne soirée!

5. Cynthia Lewis said:

Bonjour! I really like your painting of “Jif” going hand in hand with Bonne Maman. I didn’t realise that Bonne Maman is available in 31 flavors….reminds me of a brand of ice cream; the name escapes me at the moment. Bon weekend!
    PS: Would it strike your fancy to include a bit of spoken French at times for those of us who are always trying to improve their French? …..maybe something a bit quirky to the english ear….

• thefrancofly said:

Hi Cynthia,

I admit I don’t know exactly how many flavors of Bonne Maman there are, but I’m taking it one jar at a time.

Thanks for the suggestion. I can throw in a few French phrases every now and then.

Bon week-end, Cynthia!

• Cynthia Lewis said:

Thanks. Let us know which Bonne Maman accompanies M Jif the best! (I, myself, adore Smucker’s ….. preserves and jellies which are made in Orville, Ohio. They also make a peanut butter which contains no additives…wonderful stuff!) I think the French would like peanut butter if they could buy it freshly ground from one of those machines found in many of our larger grocery stores…not that it really matters…

6. confiturelove said:

As a freshy expat to Paris, my joy in finding Bonne Maman for only 1,6 € was insurmountable–especially after one of those days of French bureaucratic woe you mentioned. My new favorite combo is a slice of saucisson sec with a dollop of Bonne Maman’s Figues Violettes. That’s a goodie. Can you sketch that for me!? Need something for my walls and that might provide just the right kind of daily inspiration…

• thefrancofly said:

Hello Confiturelove,

I’ve been in France for years now. And I am still trying to collect them all.

If you are seriously interested in commissioning something, send me an email at thefrancofly@gmail.com.

Bonne soiree! Et bon continuation.