Centenarian

© Jessie Kanelos

Long before thefrancofly had pictures, illustrations, or Paris as its backdrop, I was working as a costume production assistant in New York.  Glamorous moments, yes.  Knee-deep in snow in one of the brutalist winters to date, where no boots were waterproof enough, about to pass off a bowl of chili to my boss on set, Phillip Seymour Hoffman walked over and asked, “You gonna eat that?”.  “No, it’s just keeping my hands warm,” I murmured bug-eyed.  Completely frightened, I handed the paper bowl of chili off to Phil and I skipped away as quickly as I could.  But for every moment like that, there were weeks were I was lugging around garment bags and Starbucks orders to unknown destinations in New Jersey.  Nevertheless, at times like those, I was thinking fondly of Paris.  But I had no idea how I would ever make it back.  Or let alone, what I would ever do if so.

But what started out as a few foodie musings direct from NYC has morphed into an illustrated snapshot of my new transcontinental exploits in Paris, France.   Thefrancofly has transformed into a tremendous creative outlet, reigniting my passion for both writing and illustration.  With wider eyes, I am appreciating the beauty of Paris a little more every day, a city in which since most recently I only had lukewarm feelings for.  And if anything else, with so many wacky transitions (the phonebook of paperwork, the sky-high price of peanut butter and low-tech downgrades), thefrancofly has become a wonderful source of catharsis, making this new world a little bit funnier and a little easier to swallow.

So dear readers, if the sentimentality has not lost you already, I just want to say thank you for joining me along the way.

Bises.

. . . . .

Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest

Advertisements
11 comments
  1. Congratulations on your 100 posts, and on learning to appreciate Paris a little more each day 🙂

• thefrancofly said:

I appreciate it, Christine!

2. Karene said:

Congratulations! It’s been fun to follow you 🙂

• thefrancofly said:

Thanks so much Karene!

Greetings from Paris.

3. Sophia said:

Felicitations, chere Jessie! I still love your fantastic Paris posts and your beautiful watercolors! Keep it up 🙂 bises!

4. k k said:

Congrats, Little One…you look great for 100!! Love, Aunt Kathy

________________________________

5. Cynthia Lewis said:

Mille mercis and congratulations! I love your “charm bracelet” with French and American charms plus a “francofly….

6. Really enjoying your blog Jesse! I’m glad your Dad passed it on to us:)
    You’re living the dream as far as I’m concerned…creating, writing, loving…and top that off with living in Paris!!

• thefrancofly said:

Thanks for reading, Cheryl! My parents are the best PR people I can afford.

If you post my site on your Facebook page, I’ll send you a limited edition francofly postcard. Just be sure to send me your mailing address.

Much Love From Paris,
      Jessie

7. Irene Sommers said:

I knew someone was living my dream life in Paris–enjoy. Irene

• thefrancofly said:

Enjoying just about every moment of it. Thanks for reading, Irene.