Vin Chaud

© Jessie Kanelos Weiner

© Jessie Kanelos Weiner

Paris is covered in a canape of lights this time of year.  The marchés de Noël pepper the arrondisements, flaunting seasonal treats and holiday cheer.  Outside the buzzing department stores, chestnuts are roasting on an open fire in a shopping cart, just like at home.  And another cold-weather standby, vin chaud, is boiling away au comptoir at my local café.  Served piping hot and warmed through with spices, it is the coziest way to heat up the punch bowl.

© Jessie Kanelos Weiner

© Jessie Kanelos Weiner

Vin Chaud

serves 12 (inspired by the recipe here)

2 bottles red wine (Bordeaux, Pinot Noir or Bourgogne)

1 cup sugar

Zest of 1 orange

Zest of 1 lemon

2 cinnamon sticks

2 cloves

2 star anise

3 slices fresh ginger

1.) Over low heat, bring all ingredients to gentle simmer.  Serve hot.

© Jessie Kanelos Weiner

© Jessie Kanelos Weiner

. . . . .

Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest

About these ads
9 comments
  1. Meg said:

So happy to have this recipe! I just love vin chaud. Definitely one of the best parts about winter.

• thefrancofly said:

Perfect for holiday parties!

• thefrancofly said:

Do it. You won’t regret it. :)

2. cynthia lewis said:

SOUNDS FABULOUS !! Many thanks for the recipe.

3. cynthia lewis said:

P.S. The wine looks very chic in its turtle neck – cable knit sweater (pull).

• thefrancofly said:

Cynthia, I just couldn’t resist.

4. atvd said:

Jessie, this sounds delicious! Please do your blog readers (or me, at least) a favor and post your *peppered* peanut brittle recipe. I think about that delectable sweet/spicy treat–and you, in all your sweet/spiciness–every year at this time. Trust you are doing well, my friend! Love keeping up with you on here.

• thefrancofly said:

Thanks so much for reading, Arika. I completely forgot about that recipe. So 2003! I will try to concoct something similar this holiday season. And I will certainly keep you posted.

Much love from Paris!